Saturday 4 December 2010

Running

I'm currently training for the London Marathon in April. I'm doing it for 3 reasons: 1. For my mom, who had an emergency triple bypass in August and is making the most amazing recovery for a woman who is 61 years old. She is my constant source of inspiration and, without her, my life just wouldn't make sense

Secondly, I'm extremely proud to be running for the charity Whizz Kids, who help disabled children receive the care and support they need to make their lives as enjoyable and comfortable as possible. This cause has a very special place in my heart, as my brother-in-law, Spencer, is severely disabled and provides my husband and I with so much love, joy and gratitude.

The third reason, and least important in the lineup, is that running heals my soul. It is one of the few things that allows me the time and freedom to reflect on my life- past, present, and mostly future. I love that you don't need much equipment to run- just a good pair of trainers (or as we American call them, sneakers), some leggings, a top and you're off!

I love the informality of running, the fact that one can go anywhere- physically, mentally and spiritually- that the heart desires. You can stay on the straight and narrow path or veer off track (much like life).

I normally run in the morning, both for my health and sanity. I know that if I don't take that hour for myself the day certainly won't give it to me. With work and social commitments (and the fact that it gets light at 7am and is freezing!), it is very often difficult to get motivated. The bed plays a good devil in the daily episode of waking at 5.25am. But once I'm moving, dusting off the cobwebs, and the sweat starts dripping and heart rate increases, I'm inside my head and heart, and everything is good.

When it comes to running, I am always reminded of the movie What Women Want, starring Mel Gibson as a big Advertising Exec in NYC. In one of the scenes he has to pitch a big campaign to the women of Nike, and what he said instantly hit a chord. It spoke to me and has remained engrained in my mind for probably over 10 years now.  Please humour me and read below:

You don't stand in front

of a mirror before a run...
and wonder what the road
will think of your outfit.

You don't have to listen to its
jokes and pretend they're funny.

lt would not be easier to run
if you dressed sexier.

The road doesn't notice
if you're not wearing lipstick.

lt does not care how old you are.

You do not feel uncomfortable...
because you make more money
than the road.

And you can call on the road
whenever you feel like it,
whether it's been a day...

or even a couple of hours 
since your last date.

The only thing
the road cares about...

is that you pay it a visit
once in a while.


If you are interested in supporting me in the marathon, please go to:
http://www.virginmoneygiving.com/MeghanKay

Till next time, Mx

No comments:

Post a Comment